Friday, November 18, 2011

Colonial Day

Yesterday I took the day off and spent the morning in Aiden's classroom. The first graders celebrated Thanksgiving with Colonial Day, where they rotated through each first grade classroom, doing crafts/ learning about life in Coloinal Days. It was a lot of fun getting to spend time with each child, and nice to put a face with a name in some cases. Here are a few pictures from our morning.
While I was in his classroom his teacher wanted to show me a new "thing" she started with Aiden. She has learned he is very into data, and being able to SEE his progress, and that he is very competitive- even with himself. So she has him working on a "goal data folder". She will send it home every 3 weeks for Adam and I to see. At the beginning of each six weeks he'll set a goal in each of his subjects. He has to write a plan of action, for how he will achieve his goal, and then he and his teacher will keep track of his progress. She said he is very into it. I love it! One of the things that I found very cool is that she had him evaluate himself to him set his goals, and keep him on track. For instance in reading he had to evaluate his strengths and weaknesses, and what I thought was SO COOL is that he was able to be totally honest with himself. He said he felt his biggest weakness was comprehension, due to him wanting to read fast, which meant he didn't always pay attention to punctuation, which sometime made it hard to comprehend. I was blown away, because I would agree - that really is his ONLY weakness in reading. She also told me she is still finding it very challenging for her to challenge Aiden, especially in reading. All of that to say, I love his teacher - and I'm so happy she is willing to work so hard to make his first year a success! While he may not be challenged as much as we would like, it isn't for her like of trying! We're so proud of our little smarty!

After I finished up with Aiden's class I stuck around the school the rest of the day taking pictures for the yearbook. Then last night we headed to Spring Creek for our fundraiser. It was a long, tiring day - but also FUN! Both kids get out of school today at noon to start their week long Thanksgiving break. I'm heading to pick Ryann up right after work. We're all looking forward to this nice little break.

I'll update again soon!!! We hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

No comments: