Sunday, January 29, 2012

Whoa!

I went to work the day after writing my last post and learned that The Dallas Opera House will be hosting The Magic Flute! I can not tell you how excited Adam and I were to learn this good news! So, we have plans to take Aiden in April. We're all beyond excited!!! I swear Aiden's eyes were the size of saucers when we told him.
I can't remember if I wrote about Aiden's TPRI, (Texas Primary Ready Inventory) results at the beginning of the school year... He scored 100%, and was reading 69/79, (he read  2 stories) WPM. They take this test three times a year in kinder, 1st and 2nd grade. So, we got his 2nd results on Friday.... They included a chart of his progress - that made Adam and I laugh out loud....
The gray area is where a first grade "should" test. The two lines WAY up there, are where Aiden has tested. 69/79WPM at the beginning of the year and 120/112WPM this go around. So needless to say he is well above the average reading level at this period in time, (that really is no surprise) but he is also WELL above where the he is expected to be at the end of the year. According to this test, the goal at the end of the year is to be reading 60WPM, (Aiden was above this a the beginning of the year). Oh, he also scored 100% on the question/answer section of the test too. Of course we're extremely proud of our little man, but slightly aggravated that he is stuck working on things that are obviously below his level. Really makes us wonder what our next step should be concerning his schooling......... decisions, decisions.

Aiden has been earning an allowance for well over a year now. Recently Adam and I decided that while he was learning a valuable lesson that he had to work to earn money, we thought we needed to change up what he did with his money, (previously he would just deposit into his bank - and never see it again). So about a month ago he started taking his allowance and breaking it up as follows, 10% to the church, 50% of what left into his bank. The remaining money went into his wallet to put toward a special something he previously picked out. This week he hit his goal, and we set out for him to purchase a new DS game. He has been so excited to purchase this game. I think the facet that he saved his own money to purchase the game has made it that much more special. He has been playing as much as we let him too.

He is now saving for a new Ninjago Lego Set. I think the lesson we wanted to teach is working! :)

February 1st is just around the corner, which will mark 22 years since we lost my mom. That just seems crazy. When I really try to remember her, it's hard. I was just 7 years old when she passed, and it's hard to admit, but I don't truly have many memories of her. I have things that seem like memories, but most of them are just stories I've heard from others, or pictures I've seen. The few real memories I have I hold very dear.... I don't really know why I shared all of that........ but Aiden had asked me several times over the past few months if I'd take him to see her grave site. And with his seventh birthday just around the corner I decided it was probably a good time. So we headed out there today. Um, it had been a long time since I had been out there... we searched for her headstone for about 20 minutes, (I realize how sad that is). We finally found it. I don't really have much to share about our day, other than the ridiculous amount of time it took to find her. It's just a day I'd rather not forget. It saddens me to think if something were to happen to me Aiden may not have many memories of me later in life- that sucks, but encourages me to make each day I do have with him the best it can be. And, I pray God gives us a more time together than I got with my mom.

Anyways.......... That's all we've got for now. We hope you have a lovely week. Until next time..........

No comments: